Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mineral Foundation and Where to Buy It

Thank you to everyone who has joined my blog so far! I'm glad to see there is real interest in these topics, and I hope that this will be a helpful resource for you. Since I'm assuming that most of you wear foundation on a fairly regular (if not daily) basis, it seems a logical place to start. A former liquid foundation user myself, I made the switch to mineral foundation about a year and a half ago, and while there's a huge learning curve involved with the application and color selection (I'm still on a search for the perfect match, so to speak), I've really enjoyed the changes it has made to my overall appearance. My skin is not always very cooperative - it is prone to oiliness and hormonal breakouts, so mineral makeup has been a good match for me.

Before I go into why most commercial foundations are potentially harmful for your skin and overall health (I think I'll need a separate post for that can of worms), I'll share with you some of my favorite websites for mineral foundations. Please bear in mind that I've only tried a few, but frankly, most of the foundations I've found on the internet and all that I've found in person are far too pricey to be categorized as budget friendly, or contain unnecessary fillers that I certainly wouldn't want anyone to put on their face. Besides, it makes no sense to pay $50 on a few grams of foundation when there are perfectly good homegrown brands that are also very affordable and contain high quality ingredients. So, with that said, on with the list!

https://www.everydayminerals.com

The first site I really have enjoyed is called Everyday Minerals. I've worn their mineral foundation for several months now (the lightest shade, of course). The quality is great, the ingredients are all natural (no bismuth, which is a yucky filler that makes a lot of people itch), there is a wide range of colors to choose from and the prices are reasonable. They have free samples if you would like to try them out before committing to a large purchase. Also, their site boasts a large online community blog if you need advice on which shades to select or would like to view swatches or discussions that other EDM fans have posted. I'm disappointed that they've recently gotten rid of their eyeshadow and 12-item kits (they were a great value), so I doubt I'll be ordering from them as much in the future, but they are still a good deal for what you get.

Edit: As a side note, their bamboo flat-top kabuki brush is wonderful and makes foundation application a breeze, I highly recommend that as well! I've used it every day for the past year or so and it's still good as new.

http://www.meowcosmetics.com

Another mineral foundation that I would recommend is from a company called Meow Cosmetics, and I have a feeling I will be switching over to them soon, as their prices for foundation absolutely cannot be beat. They have similar ingredients as Everyday Minerals (all natural with no fillers) and boast a huge foundation pot (3 oz.) for about $20, which will probably last forever. Their "Cat Glow" crystalline highlighting powder is also wonderful and gives a nice sheen to your cheekbones when applied. The minerals are very finely milled (even more so than Everyday's) and have a creamy texture that makes blending very easy. The only drawback is that their samples are $1 each, but they are good for a few applications so you can make sure you're getting the best match for your skin!

I hope you will enjoy these sites as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment