Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Is Shampoo a Scam?

I recently stumbled across this article and discussion about natural shampoo and the industry as a whole, and I found a lot of the observations quite enlightening:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/treehugger_asks_shampoo.php

Do you think shampoo could be just another marketing scam? Most of the contributors there would seem to say yes. I think I'll try experimenting with some of the products they've suggested - why spend extra money on shampoo (which is typically loaded with nasty chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate) when you can use household items that are non-toxic and yield similar results?

Speaking of which, this gives me an opportunity to tout a product called Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap. I originally ordered their peppermint version from Vitacost.com (a great website for organic and natural products w/ steep discounts and a flat shipping rate of $5) and am now waiting to receive the lavender and almond versions as well. It is natural, gentle and multi-purpose - many use it as a body wash, shampoo, household cleaner, laundry detergent and more. It's super concentrated as well, so a little goes a long way! You can read more about Dr. Bronner's products here, it includes a full ingredients list (don't worry, they're all good):

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm


Since I'll soon have three wonderful "flavors" to choose from, I think I'll start using it as a shampoo and body wash, along with an organic apple cider vinegar rinse to condition my hair. I know it sounds odd, but I have a co-worker who recently tried the rinse and has had some great results. I'll definitely post my own experience soon. Are any of you brave enough to try it along with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment