Thursday, September 17, 2009

Prepare to be horrified...


...when you discover what's in some of your makeup, bath and body products! Please do yourself a favor and visit the Cosmetics Database where you can review specific products, brands, or look up individual ingredients to check just how toxic your favorites are. But I warn you - prepare to be shocked! It may seem like information overload at first, but over the past few months of casual perusal I've learned to identify most of the common synthetic and modified ingredients to look out for, as well as the marginal "natural" ingredients that should be avoided. The site lists all the potential dangers of the ingredients, rating them on a 1-10 scale based on their toxicity. If I'm at the store and considering making a purchase that contains an ingredient I'm not familiar with, I simply type the questionable ingredient into my web browser (thank goodness for cell phone internet service!) and I instantly have a full review in front of me.

In my opinion, you should be able to choose the products you use based on what you know, not based on what you don't! Corporations depend on we, the consumers, being and remaining ignorant, so we have to be our own best advocates when it comes to what we put in and on our bodies. I hope this link is as useful to you as it has been for me!

2 comments:

  1. I have grown to love that site. A lot of my makeup rated highly toxic, even more expensive brands. Whenever I want to buy something new, that's the first site I go to now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way! It's such a great resource.

    And you're right - unfortunately, in most cases expensive does not mean healthier. :(

    ReplyDelete