Thursday, August 27, 2009

Review: Physician's Formula Organic Wear Mascara


After a horrifying analysis of the ingredients list on the back of one of my old mascara bottles, I started reading up on more natural lash alternatives. Much to my dismay, most of the "organic" mascaras I found were extremely costly ($20 range - no thanks!) and had to be purchased online, which only added to the problem due to high shipping costs. Luckily, I stumbled upon a review for this new line of mascara from Physician's Formula, a well-known drugstore brand. Though it wasn't necessarily a glowing endorsement, I figured it might be worth a try and took a trip to my local Rite-Aid, where I purchased this mascara for what amounted to pocket change after the full mail-in rebate.

I've now been using this mascara for a full week, and I have been very happy with the results. The ingredients are natural and you definitely do not encounter a chemically smell like you get with traditional brands. I've read a lot of bad reviews about various natural mascaras and was expecting the worst, but in action this has been very comparable to my previous chemical and paraben-laden products. All in all, I was very impressed with the length, color and fullness this gave my lashes. The formula is very light and does not seem to cause drooping. The only negatives (and they are non-issues in my book when compared to the benefits) are: a) the orange water contained in it stings your eyes like crazy if you aren't careful with your makeup removal at the end of the day, and b) the mascara never fully "dries" - if you touch it, for instance, it will leave a slight smudge on your finger, but this really isn't a problem unless you're swimming or watching a "Beaches" marathon.

Price: $9.95, but Physician's Formula is currently offering a full mail-in rebate with purchase!

INGREDIENTS: CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (ORANGE) FRUIT WATER*, GLYCERIN, IRON OXIDE, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, WATER, BEESWAX*, JOJOBA ESTERS, TAPIOCA STARCH*, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX*, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERYL CAPRYLATE, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE*, CELLULOSE GUM, CINNAMIC ACID, CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT*, GLYCINE SOYA (SOYBEAN) OIL*, HYDROLYZED ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) PROTEIN, MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) LEAF EXTRACT*, MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE

Oh, and how cute is the packaging?!? Not especially "green", but adorable nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment